This week our theme is “Using Online Technology in Children’s Ministry”. Today we’re going to look at the best way to read the websites you frequent regularly.
First things first! Some Definitions:
- A Blog is a made-up name that comes from a merging of two other word. Web and Log: Weblog – shortened to just blog. Basically it’s another name for a webpage. Someone who writes a blog is called a “blogger”.
- RSS stands for Really Simple Syndication. You’ll hear most folks refer to it as an RSS Feed or just a Feed. Blog readers (you) can ‘subscribe’ to an RSS Feed using a Feed Reader (such as Google Reader) and whenever a blog is updated, the new article will appear in the feed.
- A Feed Reader is a service that collects new articles from RSS Feeds that you subscribe to. It enables you to quickly see new posts from all of your favorite websites without having to visit each one. It’s like your own personal newspaper.
- Subscribing to an RSS Feed means that you have added that feed to your reader and will now receive updates from that site automatically. There is no cost or fee involved with subscribing to a feed.
Here’s how to get started:
- Visit Google Reader and set up an account if you don’t have one already. Be sure to bookmark Google Reader so you can find it again.
- Click the Add a Subscription button and type in the web address (http://whatever.com) of your favorite blog. Google Reader will search the site for it’s RSS Feed and subscribe you. Alternatively, if you go to the blog and see a link labeled RSS Feed or Subscribe you can click on it and add it to your reader or cut and paste the feed URl into Google Reader.
- That’s It! You should see the latest 10 posts from your entry listed in your reader. Posts will be shown as ‘unread’ until you scroll past or click on them. You can mark entries with a star or keep them unread. This way you can refer to them quickly later if you wish.
Here are a list of CM Blogs to get you going:
- Children’s Ministry Monthly – RSS Feed
- SamLuce.com – RSS Feed
- Kid Inspiration – RSS Feed
- Children’s Minister Blog – RSS Feed
- Children’s Ministry & Culture – RSS Feed
- The Thursday Blog – RSS Feed
- Just Pudge – RSS Feed
- Kidologist – RSS Feed
- PhilVischer – RSS Feed
Note: It surprises me how many of these sites did not have their RSS Feed linked to at all! Remember, you can usually enter the URl into Google Reader and it will find the feed for you.
What are your favorite CM Blogs? Post yours in the comments and share them with the other readers and myself!